Thursday, October 8, 2009

Hershey Bar Cake

Today is my husband's birthday. I didn't make my "normal" type of cake. This cake is so good it needs no decorating!!! I believe one of his aunts found this recipe in a Southern Living magazine years ago and passed it on to his mom. So, he has had this cake for his birthday every year for a while now--his mom used to make it for him and now I do. It was also his groom's cake at our wedding! And not a speck of it was left!! Here a few pictures of this yummy cake and the recipe is below!






The original name for this cake is "Swiss Chocolate Cake" but we usually call it the Hershey Bar Cake.
This is the original recipe:
1 box Swiss chocolate cake mix
1 3.75 oz box instant vanilla pudding
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
Mix until blended, then beat on medium for 2 minutes.
Pour into 3 greased and floured 9" round cake pans or one 9 x 13 baking pan.
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
Cool and frost.
Frosting:
8 oz cream cheese
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup regular sugar
12 oz carton Cool Whip
6 grated Hershey bars (I use a food processor)
Beat together cream cheese and sugars until blended.
Beat in Cool Whip.
Fold in grated Hershey bars.
A few years ago I started making a few changes to this recipe. Like I said Matt loves this cake but he also loves dark chocolate. So, I started using a dark chocolate cake mix, chocolate pudding mix, and of course Hershey's special dark chocolate bars!! So, if you like milk chocolate you can go with the original recipe but if you're like us and love that yummy dark chocolate this is the way to go!! Enjoy!


2 comments:

Maryanne Gobble said...

My husband had a bite of this and insisted I look up Hershey Bar Cake pronto (: Glad I found your recipe. Making it this Valentine's weekend.

MyFlowerGift said...

Wow! delicious cakes. Today the cake is part of the celebration. Every happy moment is celebrated by throwing a cake slice. here are some information about Cake Flavors. We look forward to more information.